Persisting throat soreness post bronchitis treatment, indigestion feeling, feeling of painful lump in chest. Recommended tests?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I finished a 10 days course of Unasyn antibiotic( for my bronchitis) but have sore throat after that ie 2 days after my antiobiotic course. I tried to wait if the sore throat go away but it didn't. Then I was on Zinnat 250mg twice a day. The symptoms reduce a little but not totally. But I have this indigestion feeling esp after eating a tomato based dish and papaya,can basically feel the lump and slight pain in my chest. My sore throat has been going on for weeks.Could this due to indigestion or gastric problem that cause the uncomfortable throat? Any tests that I should do to comfirm my problems?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 50 minutes later

Hope your Bronchitis is now under control.

You developed sore throat after a course of Ampicillin and sulbactum. The sorethroat seems to be getting better with cefuroxime (zinnat), however you developed indigestion.
Indigestion can be due to broad spectrum antibiotic and stomach upset. Hope you did not develop diarrhoea.

My suggestions to you are:
1. For sore throat and indigestion-
- Take Proton pump inhibitors with prokinetic drugs before meals
- Syp. antacid gel half an hour before meals
- Continue your current medications as advised
- You can take fresh curd, it will develop your normal bacterial flora of stomach and intestine and will treat indigestion.
- Take multivitamin twice daily
- Keep head end of bed elevated.
- Avoid alcohol, Smoking
- Do brisk walking daily
- Go for walk after dinner
- Avoid spicy food     
- Avoid late night coffee

Tests that you can consider are:
- You can see an ENT specialist and plan for a Flexible Fiber optic laryngoscopy if sore throat doesn't resolve.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Abhishek Sharma

ENT Specialist