Persisting redness on shaft, had used vaginal cream but in vain. Any advice?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Question: I'm pretty sure I had a fungal infection on the shaft of my penis starting in January of this year. I started using vaginal cream (2% clotrimazole) in early February and it improved, but I still have redness on the shaft and just below the glans in the normal wrinkles it will still crack and bleed when it gets excessively dry, erect or when I masturbate. The vaginal cream was a "3 day" cream, but I probably overused it. I used it for around 10-14 days. I have been moisturizing with cocoa butter and vitamin E oil for the last several weeks. There will be an improvement for a few days but it never goes away. I didn't moisture last night..and in the morning..after normal natural erections I can feel that it's dry and may crack. I made the mistake of also masturbating this morning ...after laying off for several days..and it cracked and bled in several places. I've been dealing with this issue for about 5 months now and I'm getting worried it may never go away. Any advice?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I understand your concern.
Do not panic.
Apply an antibiotic cream to the local area for a few days.
Wear soft underwear .Please don't stimulate yourself for a week or two.
If the lesion does not heal consult a dermatologist.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Do not worry we are there to help you out.
Have a nice day.