Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Persisting dry cough. X-ray showing enlarged lymph nodes. CT scan advised. Had spleenectomy in past. Chances of cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 600 Questions
Had chest xray for a cough (dry) that has lasted for 2 months. I had a cold in late November or Early December. Xray shows some enlarged lymph nodes. Will have CT scan soon. Does this mean cancer or lymphoma? Can the lymph nodes become enlarged from coughing? No other lymph nodes enlarged. Non smoker and spleenectomy 38 yrs ago
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from chronic dry cough since 2 months and have been diagnosed with hilar adenopathy on xray chest.

2. There are many causes of hilar adenopathy. It needs to be confirmed on HRCT scan Thorax.

3. Some common causes of hilar adenopathy include - Respiratory infections, Tuberculosis, Sarcoidosis, rarely malignancy and so on.

3. In absence of of any other symptoms and any other finding on clinical examination like clinically detectable lymph nodes , lymphoma is a rare possibility at this stage.

4. You should also undergo a Ultrasonography of the abdomen to rule out intraabdominal lymphadenopathy.

5. Diagnosis can be confirmed by a FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) which can be done either as a CT guided or through bronchoscopy (Transbronchial needle aspiration) from the mediastinal lymph nodes.

6. Some investigations that might be of help in your case would be - complete blood count, interferon gamma release assay- quantiferon gold test, Serum ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) levels,serum and urinary calcium levels, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), HIV testing & bronchoscopy.

7. Thus the next line of investigation is getting a CT thorax done and getting yourself evaluated by a Pulmonologist.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor