Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Persistent itching in the urinary meatus area. How to manage it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5147 Questions
I am having persistent itching in the urinary meatus area. What ways do I have to manage this myself?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the query.

Do you have burning sensation on passing urine ?

Have you been using new pair of underwear lately ?

Any change in the detergent to wash your clothes recently ?

Do you find blood in the urine ?

Any itching in the vagina and is there any vaginal discharge since recently ?

Are you a diabetic ? Any incontinence of urine ?

There could be many causes for this problem. Most commonly itching at the urinary meatus for women could be due to spread of infection from the vagina because urethra and vagina are very close to each other anatomically.

Other causes could be allergy to new underwear or new detergent which is used to wash clothes. If it is none of these, the cause could be simple dehydration.

It would be wise to consume 2-3 litres of water a day. If you have burning sensation on passing urine, you can also take 2 table spoons full of Potassium citrate syrup which will alkalinize the urine and relieve the pain and burning sensation. Also eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables as they also do a good job of alkalinizing the urine.

You may apply mild corticosteroid ointment at the itchy site as this will do a good job in calming the itch as well.

You can try this solution for a few days but if there is no relief you may need to consult a Gynecologist to rule out possible vaginal infection and also a Urologist to test your urine and look for presence of infection or allergy.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor