Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Permanent cure for back pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
What do I need to do to overcome permanently from daily backache problem?
Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

It seems you have been suffering from back pain since long and have not got relief with whatsoever treatment you have recieved in past. To get rid of the pain permanently, you must first identify its source. The history you provided suggests you have a disc prolapse at certain level/levels that causes compression over nerve roots/ spina cord/ both. With medications and physiotherapy you had some relief but not complete.

The first step is to confirm the diagnosis. This can be done by thorough clinical examination and supported by relevant investigations. MRI is the investigation of choice and gives fair idea of amount of disc prolapse, its level (cervical/thoracic/lumbar), and possible line of treatment (conservative/surgical).

Conservative treatment comprises of rest, medications, lifestyle modifications and physiotherapy. Lifestyle modification means improvements in posture, work habbits, eating habits, sleeping habits, sport etiquets and avoiding certain activities like smoking, drinking, excessive atheletic acitivity etc. Physiotherapy is in form of traction, IFT/SWD and back strengthening exercises. These exercises by far are the only long term mainstay in complete cure of this illness.

Surgical intervention is required if all of the above has failed. It usually comprises of conventional nerve decompression surgery, either open or through minimal invasive procedures.

I hope this answer shows you the right direction. For any further queries, I'm available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor