Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Period is delayed. Noticed a small lump just above pubic bone and sore to touch. Is it serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
My period is 9 days late, which is not normal for me. I have done countless negative pregnancy tests. Yesterday i noticed a small lump just above my pubic bone. It is sore to touch. It is not really visible though, maybe slightly red around the lump with the lump itself looking a bit puffy and white, almost like a blister. Today the lump has gone down considerably , but is still painful.
Im so worried, i have almost convinced myself that i something serious.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries, abdominal exam and ultrasound.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for using this medium,

I will want to reassure first of all that it is NOT rare to have missed periods within the ages of 18 and 25. I think you need not bother much for now. It becomes a problem when this condition continues for more than 3 months.

Common conditions like stress and depressed states could alter a normal menstrual cycle. It might necessary for you to identify any stressful conditions you have gone through lately or a change of environment.

Concerning the lump, it might be necessary to get examined by a medical doctor. Fro the description, this lump should for sure have actually nothing to do
with the recent menstrual abnormalities. The lump out side, and being tender should raise a possibility of being an infectious process or an abscess. In case you have any fever or malaise lately, it might be interesting to exclude a possibility of a bacterial infection.

Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the function of the ovaries and state of the uterus to have a calm mind.

I do not think you need to be very bothered as if now. The lump should be of a probable of infectious origin. Getting examined by your doctor to evaluate the lump and getting an abdominal ultrasound to get a clear vision of what is going on , to be , is the right thing to do.

Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. I will be glad contributing to your well being. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Period is delayed. Noticed a small lump just above pubic bone and sore to touch. Is it serious? 1 hour later
i have also been experiencing thrush like symptoms and itching and slight burning
on the outside of the vagina and around the pubic bone. i am worried about sexually transmitted infection, but im not sure if my symptoms match any kind of sexually transmitted infections. i have never had one . it is difficult not to worry.
thankyou for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries, see primary care physician.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Thrush in the vaginal area could really have nothing to do with the lump. Thrush is easily treated with anti fungal drugs. It would be necessary to get a urine test done and a sample from the cervical/vaginal discharge carried out. As a routine, testing for sexually transmitted infections can be done. However, linking it to the lump would be difficult to establish such a connection. In case your partner complains of similar symptoms or history of risky sexual behavior (unprotected sex), it would be advisable to carry out tests for sexually transmitted infections(chlamydia, syphillis etc).

I suggest you consult a primary care doctor for a proper examination. Please feel free asking any specific questions in case of need. I am glad and available to contribute. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers N.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor