Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Perimenopausal. Noticed SI joint pain and stiffness in back. How to overcome this problem?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
i am 43 and perimenopausal. I am noticing new SI joint pain and back stiffness, especially after (or trying to) sleeping at night. Not currently on HRT. Stiffness is at its worst upon getting out of bed in the am. I have worked as a RN for 20 years but have not had a back injury to speak of. I am 5ft 7" with a BMI of 21. Very active person. What can I do?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Joint pain is most often a sign of chronic inflammation or hormonal imbalance.
Many women first report joint pain when they are in perimenopause or approaching menopause.Because estrogen normally has an anti-inflammatory effect in the body, falling estrogen levels also exacerbate the symptoms of chronic inflammation.

There’s a lot you can do to relieve your pain. A few simple dietary changes, like reducing refined carbohydrates and sugar, can make a dramatic change in your joints. We also recommend eating more fruits and vegetables, which contain natural anti-inflammatories, and adding a high-quality multivitamin to fill any nutritional gaps.

Lifestyle changes like stress relief and moderate exercise can help regulate cortisol levels and reduce your inflammatory burden.

If your joint pain is related to hormonal fluctuations, phytotherapy can gently and effectively support hormonal balance and help lessen joint pain.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor