Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Penis gland got infected. Noticed itchy, burning and red bubbles. What are the risks?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
Hi, I'm a 26 years old boy that played football/soccer for 5 years (from 13 to 18 years). I've used many team equipment and toals and I got an infection that time. The infection were on my groins and penis gland, some kind of red bubbles that was very itchy and burn much on groins and red area that burned on my gland. I've went to a doctor and he prescribed me a cream called "lomexin". The infection passed that time but keeps coming from time to time when i'm nervous or anxious about any kind of problem.

I'm writing because I have some dark spots on my penis (gland and other places) and little red thorns/little bubbles on my glad and near uretra. On the right side of uretra i have a big dark spot wich is a bit swollen and there is some red thorns/little bubbles on that area. This area hurts a bit and i'm very scared about it.

I need to know if these could be normal or should I go see a doctor. I've read and seen images on internet and i suppose this could be an infection (candidiase or something, not sure).

I need help figuring this and I've taken 3 photos of my penis.

Thank you,
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
I read your problem with interest.
You seem to have had what is commonly known as 'jock's itch' when you were younger & this seems to have been recurring & left behind marks what we term as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Not to worry..easily addressed.
First, ensure you treat all your fomites: undergarments, towels, sheets etc that you come in contact with & wash in hot water, dry well in sun (good antifungal) & iron out well; air all your cupboards & ensure fungus free & not 'damp'!
In addition, i recommend you use 'boxers' as opposed to the 'V' type of underwear (except while playing some sport) to give you more 'airing' to said parts!
Treat all sexual partners' if any concomittantly.
For the treatment per se, recommend 2% ketoconazole cream(eg Nizoral) applied locally spraingly for a week or two.
Couple this with a weekly (once/week) dose of an oral antifungal (200mg fluconazole: may require a prescription in your parts) for 2 consecutive weeks & your fungus should be done with.
For the pigmentation, this will take time whatever you use...i would go with the more natural aloevera creams that may take time but are easy on the 'sensitive' regions; alternatively South Beach has a cream for pigmentation in senstive regions that patients' say works well for em :)
Trust have given you a comprehensive action plan! Do go ahead & close this query & give us a healthy rating if there are no further questions' as this pops up as a follow-up else due to our tech hassles :)
Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, bangalore, India
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Penis gland got infected. Noticed itchy, burning and red bubbles. What are the risks? 1 hour later

Is there any need for Dr. prescription on those medicines you described? Do you think this is something like candidiase or something bad? I'm sorry for so many questions but i see this getting worst day each day and i get scare with this.
is this bad for my sexual activity or can I make my sexual activity like normal?
I will start the treatment you suggested.

Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX always a great help!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
The local antifungal cream & the depigmenting cream for use later do not require any prescription; the oral tabs may or may not; perhaps you can take a transcript of this entire discussion & your local pharmacist will be kind to you (given my portugese ancestory ;-) ).
Sex not an issue some 48 hrs after the oral tablet but ensure your partner/s dont have a similar complaint & /or use a condom for extra safety.
nothing to be worried about. Appears a regular fungal infection..candida is a type of fungus. It should get better but do visit a deramtologist on the ground for best reuslts! Obregado!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Penis gland got infected. Noticed itchy, burning and red bubbles. What are the risks? 3 hours later
Hi Dr. Rodrigues,

I'm sure portuguese pharmacist on my place will kind enough to read my transcription and provide the cream for it :p

I'm more relief now that this appears to be only a fungical infection (wich seems not too bad from analysing your reply). I'll start the treatment and I'll reply here later.

Have a great weekend Dr.

Best Regards,

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
H i there XXXXXXX
Wish you the same.
If done, please do close the query as it pops up as a follow-up question else due to the system glitch :( Obregado.
Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor