Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Pelvic CT scan revealed adrenal tumours. Having dehydration type symptoms. Surgery required?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
In August I had an abdominal/pelvic CT scan. I’ve recently been getting awakened at night with strong thirst/ symptoms of dehydration having to drink/eat something. A recent blood test said my sugar levels are normal. The CT scan revealed 2 adrenal tumors (~ 1 cm @) on my left adrenal gland. i am seeing an Endocrinologist this week for the first time regarding the adenoma adrenal tumors. One tumor is on the adrenal cortex the other is in the adrenal medulla. What are my surgical options at this point? Do most people leave them in and just watch them? Is this a very XXXXXXX surgery (relative to other surgeries?) Remember I am being awakened at night and it is very bothersome. Thanks
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adrenal lumps are mostly benign

Detailed Answer:

when a lump in the adrenal gland is detected incidentally as in your instance, an endocrinologist typically orders the following tests in addition to a detailed history and physical examination:

plasma fractionated metanephrines
midnight salivary cortisol
plasma renin activity
plasma aldosterone concentrations

24 hour urine collection for fractionated catecholamines and metanephrines

these tests are used to determine if the adrenal lump is making any hormones or not. treatment options then depend on the hormone being secreted in excess. if it is not making any hormone in then only monitoring with periodic CT scans may be the only thing necessary with annual labs to make sure the hormones are still within normal limits.

the symptoms you are reporting could potentially be from hormone overproduction. however it may be unrelated too. the only way to know for sure is through the above tests
for more information please read

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor