Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Pea stuck in throat, cough, COPD. Treatment and advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2542 Questions
I have a pea stuck ib my throat since yesterday, It makes me cough except
when lying down. I am 84 years old, 155 llbs and suffer from COPD
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should see an ENT Specialist. Get your throat and larynx examined by a video-laryngoscope. This would also help rule out any associated conditions. Ask for a chest auscultation, X-ray and barium swallow.

2. It is highly unlikely that a rounded foreign body such as a pea will be missed on direct examination. It is also unlikely to be in the airway, as the spasms and coughing would be very violent. The cricopharynx (upper opening of the food pipe / esophagus) is the narrowest part of the gut. Once the food has passed through this area, it passes through the entire gut.

3. Foreign bodies, however are notorious for bizarre presentations. It is better to go through this simple examination to remove all doubt. These conditions are worsened by acid reflux and stress. A flexible endoscopy may be suggested by your physician.

4. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor