Pea sized lump above collar bone. Lump is hard and movable. Have family history of cancer. Is the lump cancerous?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Question: I just recently noticed a small pea sized lump just above my collarbone. It doesn't hurt, and is moveable. The lump is hard. I have a heavy family history of cancer on my maternal side. My grandmother and both her sisters had breast cancer, and their brother had prostrate cancer.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely benign

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I can appreciate that you have a lot of concern and anxiety regarding this area of swelling.

There are several possibilities including a cyst possibly a swollen lymph node. most of the time this type of situation will slowly resolve.

I would recommend that you observe this for the time being. If the area persists or gets larger or if you develop any other associated symptoms over the next several weeks then you might bring this to the attention of your doctor.

statistically this is most likely not a malignant problem. At the same time your concern is warranted and if this does not resolve or if it gets worse further testing might be indicated

thanks again for sending your question. I am available if you have any additional follow-up questions.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 hours later
What would other associated symptoms be?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
hello again.

I believe you are asking me what symptoms are associated with lymphoma. These symptoms might include fevers chills night sweats and unexplained weight loss.

those symptoms are somewhat nonspecific but in the setting of multiple swollen lymph nodes which persist for more than a few weeks these symptoms become important for the doctor to discuss with you.

Dr. Galamaga