Patiki eye rash on shin. Treatment?

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: my friend has patiki eye rash on the inside of her shins about 5" in length starting at her ankles...what causes this rash and what should she do for it?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

You describing a rash on legs of your female friend who is of 70 years on antihypertensive medication.

Is she receiving any other medication apart from those mentioned above.(especially aspirin)

Does the rash blanch on pressure?
Is the rash itchy?symptomatic?

My suggestion would be to visit your physician or dermatologist who can ascertain the cause and treatment of rash .

Meanwhile she can take symptomatic treatment like antihistaminics and apply cool soothing lotion like calamine.

Anticipating your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
To answer your questions, she does take an 81mg aspirin 4 times a week...the rash does not itch nor blanch with pressure nor does it appear to be symptomatic...she still wants to know what caused this sudden rash!
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 23 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
The rash appears to be purpuric in nature as per the description provided by you.
This kind of rash could be caused by No of causes like bleeding disorders, low platelet count, infections ,autoimmune conditions ,drugs and also due to aging process.

In your case rash could be due to age or due to Aspirin intake.

I suggest you visit your physician who will order some blood tests like complete blood count , platelet count , Bleeeding and clotting time, APTT,PT, to acertain the cause of rash.

Till then you can start vitamin C and calcium supplements as prophylaxis to avoid further episodes.

Hope this answers.
Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist