Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Patient of congenital ichthyosis since childhood and having hypertension. Suggest some treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I am a patient of congenital ichthyosis since childhood. My age is 56. Kindly suggest treatment. I am also a patient of hypertension. My skin conditions are fairly bad. On face I use calcipotrial in the night. I use elovera before bath. After bath I apply ok oilatum emollien and then cetaphil body lotion. On face I apply cetaphil cream. Things are not improving. Kindly suggest better methods.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

I understand your problem and will advise you accordingly.

Treatment you are taking is actually on right lines.

Still if you are not getting relief you can

-Use oilatum bathing oil and add 10 drops of it to bathing water .This will automatically moisturize your skin.

- You can use venusia lotion for after bath .It has long lasting effect.

-You can use calcipotriol cream over face.

-Tazarotene is very effective in ichtyosis. Discuss this option with your dermatologist.

-Also you can use steroid+salicylic acid lotion over thick scaly areas.Avoid it in body folds ,face , scrotum.

-Ammonium lactate is now available in India .It is a humectant useful in ichthyosis.

-Also oral drugs like acetretin are very effective in Ichthyosis. You can discuss this option with your dermatologist. The drug has side effects and dose ,duration has to be monitored carefully.

-Ichthyosis has long course and it has better and worse phases.After a while it may naturally go in remission phase.

-Certain drugs can aggravate Ichthyosis. Which drugs are you taking for hypertension?

- Avoid extremes of temperature.Take lots of fluids daily.

Hope this helps you .If you have any further query feel free to ask them to me.

Dr Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Patient of congenital ichthyosis since childhood and having hypertension. Suggest some treatment? 33 hours later
Dear doctor
Received ur advice. I have few queries to make
Shd i replace tazarotene with calcipotrial for my face
Kindly tell me the commercial name of ammonium lactate
What is the commercial name of steoroid+salicylic acid
Can I have body scrub once in a while
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Hi again,

If you are not getting relief with calcipotriol you can replace it with tazarotene.

Ammonium lactate is available as amylac cream.

Steroid +salycylic is available as topisal lotion.

You can have body scrub bath once in a while.

Please consult your doctor before using these products as these can have side effects.

Hope this helps you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Patient of congenital ichthyosis since childhood and having hypertension. Suggest some treatment? 23 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX for ur advice. I just forgot to tell u that for hypertension I am taking Ramister 10 in the morning and Asomax 5 in the night. On an earlier occasion while I was on oral retinoid my physical condition became very bad after sometime and I was advised not to take this drug ever. Kindly tell me whether there is any harmless oral drug which improves skin condition internally. My scalp condition is also extremely bad. Kindly help.
With regards
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,

You can take vitamin E and A supplements orally twice daily orally. These will help in your condition.

For scalp condition you can use topisal lotion daily.

If you have liked my answer please indicate it by rating my answer in the end.

With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor