Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Patch on tongue which gets inflamed by eating hot or spicy food, hairy. Should I be worried about HIV?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I have this patch on the same part of my tounge, every time, and if I eat hot or spicy foods it get inflamed, i think it's that hariy like Leucoplena(spelling?). I've read on line that it occurs in "most HIV/AIDs patients or people with weakened immunse systems. I was checked for HIV about 1 and 1/2 yrs ago. I was with the same person for tens years and have been in the same relationship now for almost 2 yrs, I am not promiscuous at all. Should I be worried or is this something simple???
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 57 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding this area on your tongue it is most likely a benign degree of inflammation. If you do not have risk factors for HIV then it is highly unlikely also that this is related to HIV.

With all that being said, however, I strongly advise that you visit with a dentist to have him take a good look at the area. Sometimes a dentist may recommend a biopsy of any inflammed area to rule out the presence of any bad cells or precancerous growth. I would recommend you try to see a dentist within the next couple of weeks for a focused consultation and examination. That will help provide you with more reassurance regarding what is going on.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor