Passing semi liquid motions, black in color with floating white flakes. Required treatment?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am passing semi liquid motions, black in colour with a number of white flakes floating around. This has never happened before.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
We have to go by a limited information that you have
provided. Along with diarrhea, if you have fever, chills, abdominal
pain, We have to consider Diverticulitis. Since you mention that
you have diverticulosis, infection of one or more of the pockets
is a distinct possibility. Black color of the stool may indicate
slow bleeding. Usually the bleeding is bright red with diverticulitis.
But if the diverticulosis involves the right side of the colon, it is
possible to have dark or maroon colored stool. White flakes may
indicate some strands of mucus that indicates inflammation.
One thing I am concerned is the fact that you mention early
stages of cirrhosis. I hope that is very stable and not advancing.
If you have dilated veins in the esophagus as a result of cirrhosis,
you could have bleeding from those and is called bleeding varices.
Usually this is associated with vomiting of blood, sometimes severe.
I think personally that you may have an attack of diverticulitis.
You may require CT-Scan of tha abdomen, blood tests to find
out more. I suggest that you go over to the nearest medical
facility for further workup and treatment.
I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
I do not have fever, chills or abdominal pains, to suggest diverticulitis. Nor am I vomitting blood in the least. Is it still something very serious for me to worry about. I certainly do intend to see a doctor if it continues tomorrow. I forgot to mention that I took an overdose of my homeopathic medicine this morning. Could thid be the cause.
Hello, XXXXXXX,
If your ayurvedic medicine contains aspirin or ibuprofen
that could cause small ulcers in the lining of the stomach
and slow bleeding from these can make your stool dark.
I am glad that you don't have fever,chills,vomiting of blood.
Wish you well.