Passed kidney stones. Experiencing pain in penis and bladder. Any advice?

Dr. CS Narayan

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had passed two kidney stones about three weeks ago. the size of the stone was appox 4-5 mm . Even after three weeks i am experiencing pain in the side of my penis. The pain is more in the day but i dont get any pain in the night. I also have some pain at some points in my bladder. I dont feel any burning sensation while urinating but i feel burning sensation in the penis after passing urine. Please advice
Answered by Dr. CS Narayan 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

By the look of your written complaints, I have 2 propositions for you.

One, the presence of more stones in the urinary tract not necessarily in the kidney but also in the tracts or in bladder - which can only be confirmed by ultrasound test. If so, then you might need therapy for that depending on size and number of stones found as also your medical status by the Nephrologist/Urologist.

Two, keeping in view your medical history of stones in the urinary tract - you are definitely more prone for urinary tract infections - which have grades of clinical severity. Pain intermittently even without the presence of fever or other symptoms point in this direction. In this case, you may need a course of sensitive antibiotics on prescription based on culture tests and other reports.

Meanwhile, drinking soft water in moderate quantities certainly helps, and taking care of diet that would not contain much calcium content. Again, a wholesome advice from a dietitian will do best after the medical issues resolve.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.