Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Passed White spongy tissue during period, cramps, heavy bleeding. Taken seasonique to conrol pain during cycle. What could be the tissue?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Recently I started taking Seasonique to control bleeding & pain during my cycle. I have taken it for just over a month and 5 days ago I started bleeding. The bleeding has been heavier than any flow (and I have had very heavy flow, hence why I was prescribed the pill) and almost unbearable cramps. Last night I passed a clot along with some white spongy tissue about the size of the palm of my hand. I immediately called our local health line where I spoke with an RN. She had me put the white tissue in warm water to see if it dissolved-it did not. She advised me to see my physician on Monday unless the pain became unbearable again or I was soaking through a pad every hour for 3 hours. With that said, I have had my tubes tied for 10 years and my question is, what would the tissue I passed be and would simply having a D&C procedure done help?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

I have viewed the large fleshy mass and it is not blood clots at all. The most close probability is incomplete abortion (remnant of conception product) in the failure of tubal ligation. Other possibility is uterine/ cervical polyp or entire lining of endometrium tissue (rare).

You need to undergo one ultrasound scan (USG) to confirm the diagnosis before proceeding to any type of intervention. Pelvic examination with speculum is also needed to carry out by your gynecologist.

In case of incomplete abortion, D & C is the best procedure. Other treatment modalities like polypectomy, hormonal therapy (progesterone) etc depend on the pin point diagnosis.

Here, you should take some hemostatic agents (like Tranexamic acid) and drotaverine group of drug to control bleeding & abdominal cramp respectively.

In addition, you should take healthy diet with iron supplements and maintain genital hygiene properly. Avoid stress and take adequate rest.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor