Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Partner got diagnosed with epididimytis. Having lower abdominal pain. Should I be also tested?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6171 Questions
My boyfriend aged 58 just got diagnosed with epididimytis We were together last weekend Should i be tested. He had indiscretion last year that i know of.
Im a 49 year old female. I have no real symptoms that i think are associated with this. I do have occasional sharp pain in lower abdomen. Right where my c section scar is
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, but wait for more clues from investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your boyfriend has and the troubling thoughts this has raised about your own health status.

Epididymitis can be caused by a lot of different germs. Some are sexually transmitted(gonorrhea and chlamydia which are most common in sexually active individuals) and others are not transmitted through intercourse. Because you have no symptoms and it is not an emergency to get tested, I suggest that you wait for his results to get more insights as to which tests to do. If it is caused by a sexually transmitted germ or the germ cannot be identified, then do a complete STD testing. If it is caused by a non sexually transmitted germ, then you may do STD testing at your own personal discretion.

Even if he got an STI from the affair he had last year, he might have already pass on the infection to you. So whether the origin is you or not you, getting tested is the next best step if the germ turns out to be sexually transmissible.

For now, use protection during all sexual intercourse until answers and maybe full treatment have been achieved.

Hope this addresses your query fully. If you need any clarifications, feel free to contact me again and again.

Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Partner got diagnosed with epididimytis. Having lower abdominal pain. Should I be also tested? 55 minutes later
Thank you. He has not said he's getting further tests. His dr prescribed anti inflammatory and an antibiotic today. I've been with no one but him for past five and half years. He said he does not know what causes it. I'm not about to accuse being that it could be bacteria from non std source. So I could possibly have chlamidia or ghonnorhea from this from a year or even two years ago?? I have had odd symptoms and have seen a neurologist recently and my general dr. I've had dizziness and numbness in hands and feet. Dr said could be stress. Did blood tests. Not diabetes or MS. Thankfully. Now I'm wondering if this could be related!!?? To std I mean? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms not suggestive of STDS

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the follow up.

Yes, gonorrhea and chlamydia can sit quiet for years without any symptoms(especially chlamydia). So, if it were caused by these germs, you could be an asymptomatic carrier or you never contracted it at all. Having unprotected intercourse with someone who has an infection doesn't always lead to contamination.

Your symptoms are not suggestive of STDs. They sound very nonspecific to me. Hope stress management helped you.

If you have the resources, just go ahead and do a one time full screening for STDs in order to clear any doubts.

Hope this addresses your query fully.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor