• question-icon

Partially red eye, strained eyes. Cause?

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My left eye has been partially red for the past 2-3 days. It's actually cleared up a bit, but I was wondering what could be the cause of my red eye. I don't have any pain, and there isn't a change in my vision. I have been having a lack of proper sleep though for the past week. And I've also been looking at computer screens all day, which put strains on my eyes.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

Unilateral redness of left eye can be due to lack of proper sleep and strain from the computer screen. Wash your eyes nicely. Try to get enough sleep at night and sleep with your head slightly raised. Apply a cool water compress to the skin under your eyes for a few minutes. Avoid allergens when possible, and ask your doctor about anti -allergy medications.

If possible, turn off the overhead fluorescent lights in your office and use floor lamps that provide indirect incandescent or halogen lighting instead. If you wear glasses, purchase lenses with anti-reflective (AR) coating. Also adjust the display settings on your computer so the brightness of the screen is about the same as your work environment.

Also to reduce your risk of tiring your eyes by constantly focusing on your screen, look away from your computer at least every 20 minutes and gaze at a distant object. Also take frequent breaks during your computer work day.

For now you can use artificial tear drops after consulting your doctor. If there is any itching associated with the eye, then you may need antibiotic eye drops.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Dr. Jasvinder Singh