Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Parotid gland swelling. Can it be reduced by medication or surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10442 Questions
hi,i have 1.2 by 1 cm.swelling of left superfacial parotide gland.what are the optiones i have ?can it be reduced by medicines ?will it grow and i will have to undergo surgery ,if left as it is
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
A swelling of 1.2cm x 1cm of parotid gland is a small swelling.
Such a swelling may happen due to cyst in the gland or an impacted stone or infection. In most of the cases systemic antibiotics and good oral hygiene helps in reducing the swelling considerably. In some cases aspiration of the cyst might be needed. Surgical treatment is required only in few cases after the medical treatment is not helpful.
You need a thorough examination by your dentist to find out the cause of swelling so that appropriate treatment can be started.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor