Paralyzed toe with numb and cold feeling. Is there any medicine to improve this condition?

Dr. Piyush Ostwal

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I am a 90 year female. The problem is in my left leg. Since i had polio at the age of 16, i have had paralyzed toes on the left leg. About a year and a half ago i developed another problem in my left leg. It gets numb and cold, so im relating it to a circulation problem. When I had polio all those years ago, I could only walk two or three steps before falling down. Is there a vitamin/mineral/medication to improve my condition? A friend is wondering if it's possible that singular sclerosis could be the cause.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 7 hours later
The numbness and cold feeling in limb usually indicates neurological involvement. The involvement could be in the form of nerve compression or nerve inflammation. It could also be spinal cord involvement of the sensory nerves. Before starting on any medication the cause needs to be ascertained. You need to consult a neurologist for evaluation.
It is unlikely to be 'singular sclerosis', however it is difficult to tell without complete investigations.
As you had strokes in past, so this symptom could be a residue from a stroke.
Hope that answers your query. If you have more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.