Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Pap test showed HPV negative with a typical cells of undetermined significance. What to do?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5971 Questions
I am 55 yrs old...went to gyn and he told me that my pap test showed ...HPV negative with a typical cells of undetermined significance. He said I should get another pap in 6 months. Is that tooo long to weight?
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Women older than 20 years who have a single Pap result of ASC- US ( atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance ) , are ideally managed by one of the following three options, as per guidelines :

1. HPV testing. If positive, proceed for a colposcopy, and if negative, have a repeat Pap smear after 12 months.

2. Follow up Pap smear after 6 months. After a woman has two consecutive normal smears, she can go for routine surveillance.

3. Directly proceed for colposcopy.

Of the three options, the first is the most recommended and evidence based.
Hence, you are on the right track, and do not worry as 6 months is definitely not too long to wait, as per guidelines.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor