Pap smear showing yeast infection. Experiencing abdominal cramps and pain during intercourse. What to do?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Had my first pap smear and was told I have a yeast infection. What is it what do I do. Should I be concerned. As well I've been getting lots of infections lately from ingrown hairs, splinters, my finger nail, strep throat and now a yeast infection. Should this concern me? I also was in the doctors office because the last two periods I've had cause extreme abnormal painful cramps I've never had before and I have pain during intercourse. I also had blood in my stool for the first time. I was havig unprotected sex when I found out he cheated and had unprotected sex with another girl about a month before my symptoms started. My doctor is giving me no answers or reassurance and only wants to see me again if the results are bad. What does this sound like to you. Im scared at this point. Im willing.to answer anything for some answers.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax, it is too early to be worried excessively. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks you for writing to us with your health query when you are clearly in a lot of distress over all that is going on. I do appreciate your willingness to seek clarification, and I will try my best to help you as much as I can. I have carefully read and re-read your question. Let me reassure you that all is not lost, stop worrying so much. From you description I do not think you could be suffering from any of the more serious conditions, because they conditions like HIV would not present so early in the way that you have described. It is common to develop yeast infection when you become sexually active, that too when you have been exposed to an individual who has had unprotected sexual intercourse with another person apart from you. In which case the most important thing to do would be to get a complete check for all sexually transmitted diseases. Till the time you get the reports, you don't need to worry. There are particularly two infections that you should keep a watch for. 1. HIV, 2. Hepatits B. Please get tested for these two too. It would help me get a better picture of your problem if you could tell me, since how long you are in relationship with this person. Get a complete STD panel and complete hemogram done, this should include, 1. VDRL/RPR, 2. Test for gonorrhea, 3. Test for Chlamydia, 4. Tests for Herpes, 5. Tests for hepatitis, 6. Tests for HIV. Please revert back to me with the reports so that I can guide you further. All of your symptoms do fit into the category of sexually transmitted diseases excepting strep infection, that could well be a co-incidence. The painful periods, painful intercourse, blood in stools can all be a feature of some sexually transmitted disease, hence my recommendation for all the investigations. I hope I have answered your question, I expect you would be writing back with the answer to my question, you are more than welcome to ask me if you have any further concerns. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Warm regards,
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 33 minutes later
We've been together around 8 months. The end of July he cheated on me. I have never been tested or even had a pap smear before that but none of these symptoms existed and I was not as prone to infections before. I got a culture test taken today but my doctor insists that all she had to do. Should I go to a clinic to request those tests anyway? I will upload or write any results I get from todays tests. Thank you for your wisdom and help.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please do get these tests done. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Welcome back and thanks for writing back with the details. Yes, please go ahead with uploading or writing down the results of the reports, that would give me a clear picture of what is going on with you and would help me decide what step you can take next. As far as the other STD panel I suggested, it is advisable to get them done for the peace of mind and to be on the safer side. End of July means it has been about 3 to 4 months that you came to know that your partner was cheating on you and prior to that you had been having sexual relationship with him for about 4 to 5 months. If I am not wrong, you are not 100% sure that before you started seeing this guy, you don't know what his story was, right? So it is for your own safety that you get these tests done. I understand that this means you have to undergo further stress, I am only suggesting these tests in your best interest. Please do write back with the results of whatever tests were done, you can upload them by utilizing the upload results option on the right hand side or if you prefer, you could type them in your next response. Awaiting your response.