Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

132 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Pap smear showing yeast infection. Experiencing abdominal cramps and pain during intercourse. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Yogesh D

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 917 Questions

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Had my first pap smear and was told I have a yeast infection. What is it what do I do. Should I be concerned. As well I've been getting lots of infections lately from ingrown hairs, splinters, my finger nail, strep throat and now a yeast infection. Should this concern me? I also was in the doctors office because the last two periods I've had cause extreme abnormal painful cramps I've never had before and I have pain during intercourse. I also had blood in my stool for the first time. I was havig unprotected sex when I found out he cheated and had unprotected sex with another girl about a month before my symptoms started. My doctor is giving me no answers or reassurance and only wants to see me again if the results are bad. What does this sound like to you. Im scared at this point. Im answer anything for some answers.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax, it is too early to be worried excessively. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks you for writing to us with your health query when you are clearly in a lot of distress over all that is going on. I do appreciate your willingness to seek clarification, and I will try my best to help you as much as I can. I have carefully read and re-read your question. Let me reassure you that all is not lost, stop worrying so much. From you description I do not think you could be suffering from any of the more serious conditions, because they conditions like HIV would not present so early in the way that you have described. It is common to develop yeast infection when you become sexually active, that too when you have been exposed to an individual who has had unprotected sexual intercourse with another person apart from you. In which case the most important thing to do would be to get a complete check for all sexually transmitted diseases. Till the time you get the reports, you don't need to worry. There are particularly two infections that you should keep a watch for. 1. HIV, 2. Hepatits B. Please get tested for these two too. It would help me get a better picture of your problem if you could tell me, since how long you are in relationship with this person. Get a complete STD panel and complete hemogram done, this should include, 1. VDRL/RPR, 2. Test for gonorrhea, 3. Test for Chlamydia, 4. Tests for Herpes, 5. Tests for hepatitis, 6. Tests for HIV. Please revert back to me with the reports so that I can guide you further. All of your symptoms do fit into the category of sexually transmitted diseases excepting strep infection, that could well be a co-incidence. The painful periods, painful intercourse, blood in stools can all be a feature of some sexually transmitted disease, hence my recommendation for all the investigations. I hope I have answered your question, I expect you would be writing back with the answer to my question, you are more than welcome to ask me if you have any further concerns. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Warm regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 33 minutes later
We've been together around 8 months. The end of July he cheated on me. I have never been tested or even had a pap smear before that but none of these symptoms existed and I was not as prone to infections before. I got a culture test taken today but my doctor insists that all she had to do. Should I go to a clinic to request those tests anyway? I will upload or write any results I get from todays tests. Thank you for your wisdom and help.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please do get these tests done. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Welcome back and thanks for writing back with the details. Yes, please go ahead with uploading or writing down the results of the reports, that would give me a clear picture of what is going on with you and would help me decide what step you can take next. As far as the other STD panel I suggested, it is advisable to get them done for the peace of mind and to be on the safer side. End of July means it has been about 3 to 4 months that you came to know that your partner was cheating on you and prior to that you had been having sexual relationship with him for about 4 to 5 months. If I am not wrong, you are not 100% sure that before you started seeing this guy, you don't know what his story was, right? So it is for your own safety that you get these tests done. I understand that this means you have to undergo further stress, I am only suggesting these tests in your best interest. Please do write back with the results of whatever tests were done, you can upload them by utilizing the upload results option on the right hand side or if you prefer, you could type them in your next response. Awaiting your response.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  HIV

doctor1 MD

I stopped my period on May 7th and started it on May 1st and I had sex on the Friday but we used a condom. and now I m feeling weird things in my stomach and when i went pee today there was a clear gooey discharge. After I just went pee again I wiped and there was yellow on the toilet paper with brown specks..

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have a question about periods.. The last tme my ex girlfriend and I had sex was late February, we used protection of a high brand name condom, didnt break, wasnt expired, and she had her period in march, but told me today she hasn t gotten it since. Should I be worried?

doctor1 MD

Hello, my problem is that i find extremely difficult to wear a condom. I have measured my penis lenght:18 cm and my girth: 17cm and I think it's pretty much average so, why can't I put on a condom without being so tight it cut my blood flow…Any serious advice would be welcome. Thanks.

doctor1 MD

Hello, I stayed round my boyfriends 2 nights ago and we thought it was time too have sex he's done it before but it was my first time. He never put a condom on and I'm not sure why? He put his penis in slowly but it was very painful. Eventually we had too stop because it really hurt. I'v been sore the past couple of days and I thought thats because I'v been stretched open a little bit. I'v just come out the shower and there was a tiny tiny bit of blood what is this?

doctor1 MD

I just had a mutual masturbation session with a sex worker However she removed her hand from inside her vagina and used it roughly on my penis in a hand job Can I get HIV from this means which I was not able to stop after it occurred to me ?

doctor1 MD

i bought food the food was in a container with a plastic at the top covering the container how ever i notice the plastic on 1 container was slightly open on a container with food inside any RISK for hiv hep b,c

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and is not going away...I had read somewhere in the webmd website that facial rashes are the first sign...