Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Pap smear indicated dysplasia, had freezing procedure done. again have same problem. Suggest?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
My daughter had a pap smear the indicated dysplasia last year. She had the freezing procedure last January. She went back for a pap smear and got a call today that she has dysplasia again. Is this common? She is meeting with her gynecologist on October 14.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
Dysplasia means abnormal appearing cells seen on the cervix.
The most common cause is infection with HPV ( human papilloma virus ) in sexually active women.
Dysplasia is graded into ASCUS ( atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance ), LSIL ( low grade ) or HSIL ( high grade ).
The prognosis depends on the grade, so it would be better if you provide the EXACT diagnosis on the Pap smear, which grade of dysplasia was present on the smear.
Treatment consists of resection ( removal ) or ablation ( freezing and other options which destroy the surface abnormal cells )
Low grade lesions often spontaneously resolve on their own, though careful observation and follow up is essential, while high grade lesions have more propensity to turn into a cancerous condition.
After treatment ( such as the freezing or cryocauterization ) which was done in your case, almost 90 % of women are cured, and upto 10 % have a recurrence.
This is what has happened in your daughter's case.
The lesion 's grade too might have changed, so please provide me details of both smears, past and present.
Repeat therapy would be required, which would now be in favour of removal by a cold knife, laser or cone, as the lesion has recurred.
Please do write back with more details.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor