Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Palm tingling and numb with back and hip pain. Had a back and hand surgery. Is it stroke?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10392 Questions
I am 80 years old and my PALM is tingling and is numb off and on this morning. I took my blood pressure 3 times and it was between 138-130; 69-64; and 69-70. I am and have been having back/hip pain last few days. I am active male. I had back surgery and hand surgery (opposite hand) about 5 - 7 years ago. Family history of stroke so is concerning. I have annual physicals, next one due in two weeks.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Tingling and numbness in the palm with normal blood pressure is more likely to be due to a nerve compression at the cervical spine level rather than stroke.
It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine.
Avoiding using a pillow and improvising your posture may help in improvement.
You can also add methylcobalamin supplements to your diet for relief.
If the symptoms are persistent then consulting a physician for physical examination will be helpful in proper diagnosis and further treatment.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Palm tingling and numb with back and hip pain. Had a back and hand surgery. Is it stroke? 5 hours later
What are methylcobalamin supplements?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Methylcobalamin, a nerve vitamin, is a nutritional component which helps in normal nerve conduction function. Its deficiency can cause such tingling and numbness.

You can ask for these supplements at your local pharmacy.

Vitamin B complex supplements will also help you.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor