Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Painless red lump in the plica sublingualis. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2543 Questions

Ten days ago I examined my mouth and discovered under my tongue, in the floor of the mouth, a small red lump in the plica sublingualis. It may be around 2mm, it does not hurt, and it has not changed its size since I first noticed it (as I have said, 10 days ago). Maybe it has been there since a lot of time and I have not paid attention to it. What is it? Should I worry?

I am sending some pictures of it.

Thank you.

Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thamk you for your query.

1. This looks like a common minor infection possibly related to the submandibular salivary gland duct, though the papillae of the duct seem to be fine.

2. This may not require any treatment. however you may let your doctor decide after palpation of the neck and head. Acid reflux, foreign bodies must be ruled out,

3. Request your doctors for a trial with medication.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painless red lump in the plica sublingualis. Should I be worried? 45 minutes later
I am diagnosed of acid reflux since I was a child. Can it be related with this?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treat the reflux.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, acid reflux is related.

2. Request your doctor to prescribe anti reflux treatment for 8 to 12 weeks. Add supplements. Rule out other causes with the help of your doctor first.

3. Diet and lifestyle modifications will help.

Wishng you good health,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor