Painless lumps on the thigh. Causes?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have several lumps on the back of my right thigh in the muscle starting from the bend of the knee and going half way up the thigh. They seem worse after exercise but are not real painful.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The lumps at the back of your knee are nothing but the joint capsular swellings as a result of the joint inflammation due to arthritic changes in your knee joint. These swellings become prominent with the increased inflammation of the knee joint.
Taking anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen will reduce the symptoms.
You need to do hot fomentation twice daily and get some joint lubricants like glucosamine sulphate prescribed from your orthopaedician.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T