Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

127 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Painless lump appeared on temple area. What could be causing this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 189 Questions
I have a lump under the skin on my right temple. I recently discovered it but have noticed it in a picture as far back as Nov. 2009. It doesn't hurt unless I push on it with a considerable amount of pressure. It is slightly larger than a plump pea and oblong. I plan to have it checked after the New Year in XXXXXXX But wondered if I should be more in a hurry. What are some possible reasons for a lump there? Thanks in advance.
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

A single lump of such a size, without any pain and slow growing near temple is usually a lipoma (growth of fat cells) or neurofibroma. Since it almost 3 years, it should be a benign. So definitely you can get it examined in Jan' 2013 without hurry.

Such lumps can occur anywhere in our body and they are usually harmless. They need surgical excision only if they grow suddenly or cause pain/numbness in nearby region or because of cosmetic reasons.

Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask your doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now