Owl Image

Painless lump appeared on temple area. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have a lump under the skin on my right temple. I recently discovered it but have noticed it in a picture as far back as Nov. 2009. It doesn't hurt unless I push on it with a considerable amount of pressure. It is slightly larger than a plump pea and oblong. I plan to have it checked after the New Year in XXXXXXX But wondered if I should be more in a hurry. What are some possible reasons for a lump there? Thanks in advance.
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

A single lump of such a size, without any pain and slow growing near temple is usually a lipoma (growth of fat cells) or neurofibroma. Since it almost 3 years, it should be a benign. So definitely you can get it examined in Jan' 2013 without hurry.

Such lumps can occur anywhere in our body and they are usually harmless. They need surgical excision only if they grow suddenly or cause pain/numbness in nearby region or because of cosmetic reasons.

Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask your doubts.

Regards.