Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Painless lump above knee, immovable, firm, can feel while extending leg. Bone cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 2130 Questions
I have a painless quater shaped lump 2 inches above right knee right up th emiddle of thigh immovable when I extend leg I can feel it when I bend my leg cannot kind of disappears with the movement. Its firm rather than softer I am 48 female

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later
Thanks for nice query.     
Above knee firm lump (approximately 2 inch above knee) ,which is visible & immobile when one extends leg suggests muscular or tendon swelling .

As these swelling only become immobile when leg is extended .

As with the extension of leg ,extensor muscles & tendon of knee becomes tight ,so swelling becomes immobile and more prominent.

When leg is bend certain muscles becomes relax,so swelling becomes mobile & less prominent.

Bursae also appear as swelling around knee joint,but they are persistent ,soft generally don`t becomes tense and immobile with leg movement .

You have not mentioned whether lump is painless or tender or painful.and any difficulty with leg or knee movement.

Proper clinical examination & MRI can pinpoint the exact diagnosis & treatment can be planned accordingly.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painless lump above knee, immovable, firm, can feel while extending leg. Bone cancer? 29 hours later
it is not painful but i am afraid of cancer. when i move my knee back and forth i feel it move too. not around but back and forth
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 13 hours later

Nice to see you again.

Chances of cancer are quite low, a painless benign muscular or tendinous lump can be there in the muscles or tendon

MRI or FNAC can make the final diagnosis. I would suggest you to go ahead with these tests after discussing with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor