Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Painless hard lump appeared on inner labia. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 828 Questions
I have a lump in my inner labia. It is hard to the touch, seems to be connected to the skin on one side of my labia but not the other, and is about the size of a bb (only a fraction the size of a pea). It doesn't hurt unless I squeeze really hard and I think that only hurts because it damages the labia. What could it be?
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Swelling of a pea size on the inner aspect of labia minora suggests bartholin's cyst.

A Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked. These glands are found in the skin of the labia majora.
Its infection results in bartholin's abscess.

I recommend you to get a blood sugar test done as it is common in Diabetics.

Treatment is
1. Sitz baths which promote drainage.
2. Antibiotics for which you need to get a prescription from your physician.
3. Surgical procedure called a marsupialization, if sitz bath and antibiotics dont help.
4. Maintain personal hygiene.

Hope this helps.
You can write to me anytime for further clarifications.

Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painless hard lump appeared on inner labia. What could it be? 1 hour later
This is much smaller than a pea and it's in the labia minora but you mention the labia majora, do they occur in both?
I've had my blood sugar checked, it's good.
I don't understand how antibiotics can help a blocked gland, this doesn't feel at all infected.
Is there any chance it can be something else besides a cyst? I want to know all the possibilities.
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 20 minutes later
Thanks for the reply,

I have mentioned on labia minora and not on majora.
Bartholin's cyst occurs on inner aspect of labia minora.

Good that your blood sugar is normal.

Once the duct is blocked, infection is confined to the cyst . In the initial stages, antibiotics can help. But, once abscess develops, only surgery is the treatment of choice.

Other differential diagnosis is boil/follicle.
But the chances are very low.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painless hard lump appeared on inner labia. What could it be? 21 hours later
I don't know what you mean by "inner aspect" nor do understand what you mean by "once abscess develops", nor do I understand what "differential diagnosis" means.

What I'm really concerned about is wether there is any possibility that this lump could be a tumor or a cancerous growth. Can you tell me that?
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 22 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

I am sorry that I could not clarify in the earlier answer. Let me try now.
"inner aspect" means on the inner side. In the earlier answer, it refers to the inner side of the labia minora.
'Abscess" means collection of pus. In early stages, there is only a small collection. Later on the infection develops and then there is a pus collection. In that case, pus has to be drained and the abscess removed.
'differential diagnosis" means other possibilities. It was earlier referred to other possibilities other than Bartholin's cyst.

There is minimum chance of the lump being malignant since it is hard and fixed.

Points against the possibility of tumor is your age (vaginal cancer is less common at 43 years) and lump being painful on XXXXXXX palpation.

So be positive. Get a FNAC of the lump to be more sure.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor