Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Painless dark spots on head of penis, no pain or discharge or inflammation. Please advise

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12669 Questions
I have noticed some painless dark spots on the head of my pernis. There are no other symptoms. One dark brown spot is almost 1cm wide. A second is lighter and smaller and a third spot is almost black and near the very top and is very small. There is no pain, no discharge and the skin is not raised or inflamed in any way . It merely appears as a change in pigmentation. Please advise
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The spots on penis you are describing appear to be Fordyce's spots.

The spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland: normally, sebaceous glands are only found in association with a hair follicle. They are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They aren't infectious and are a natural occurrence on the body.

Vaporising laser treatments such as CO2 laser or electro desiccation have been used with some success in diminishing the appearance of this condition if they are of cosmetic concern. However, I consider this a normal physiological phenomenon and advise against treatment. Laser treatment can often leave significant scarring.

I suggest you not to worry about this condition. If you are still concerned about cosmetic appearance I advise you to consult a dermatologist and show your spots. Direct examination and seeing the spots by the doctor will help in accurate diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor