Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Painful swollen ankles. Taking colchicine 0.6mg for elevated uris acid. How to get relief from pain?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
A few weeks ago I felt a pain above my right ankle and just ignored it then it swelled and became very painful I went to a podiatst who did X-rays and found no injury around ankle and sent me for a Uris acid test she said it was elevated at 5 and wraped me and gave me some colchicine 0.6mg my swelling went down i still fell the small pain a ove my right ankle and the area is dark
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.

From description , it seems you might suffering from acute attack of gout.

Your doctor had already started colchicine to overcome the acute attack.As inflammation subsides, the little pain present over your right ankle will also go off.

Take steps to reduce the risk of future attacks.

*Control your weight. Being overweight increases your risk for gout.

*Limit alcohol, especially beer. Alcohol can reduce the release of uric acid by the kidneys into your urine, causing an increase of uric acid in your body.

*Limit meat and seafood. Diets high in meat and seafood (high-purine foods) can raise uric acid levels.

*Follow a moderate exercise program.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor