Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Painful swelling on face, under jawline. Had fever. Could there have been an abscess? Is keflex good?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10427 Questions
Awhile ago I woke up with painful swelling on the right side of my face. The swelling was located just under my jawline and extending back farther below my ear. There were no other symptoms besides a slight fever that only lasted a few hours. The next day I went to a clinic where the physician gave me a 14 day prescription for Keflex. She checked for an abscess in my molar, which there was none and said she was unsure of what caused it. The 14 days are almost up and though the swelling has gone subsided underneath my jaw it has worsened under my ear and has migrated up my jawline halfway to my temple. It is more uncomfortable and tender now, but not painful. It does not move if touched and feels hard, sort of like a muscle.
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I have seen the images attached to the query.
There are a few possibilities for these symptoms which need to be ruled out and these include:

1) It can be a swollen lymph node like a submandibular lymph node which has swollen in response to infections.

2) Second possibility is of salivary gland swelling like sublingual gland infection or blockage which lies beneath the mucous membrane of the floor of the mouth. The sublingual and submaxillary (also called the submandibular) glands empty into the mouth through ducts under the tongue.

Swelling of these glands due to blockage of these ducts leads to interference of production and drainage of saliva and pain and irritation. It may be due to some obstruction like stone or tumor, inflammation and infection.

3) Third possibility is of any cyst or benign skin growth.

You need certain investigations like blood count, sialography, sialendoscopy and ultrasound or CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor