Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Painful, swelling above clitoris. What home remedies can I use?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 47 Questions
Hi: I am 49 years old and have a large painful swelling just above my clitoris. (Folliculitis?) What home remedies or over the counter medication can I use apart from warm salt water as a compress? No previous vaginal infections. Thanks
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 19 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Mild, superficial abscesses and folliculitis' often improve with warm compresses (the warmer the better, without burning).

If however, it does not improve over the course of 1-2 days, or if there is a surrounding area of red, warm, firm skin, or if you have a fever or chills, then you should seek medical care from a qualified clinician right away. These symptoms, when present, could indicate a more serious infection.

I am afraid that other than warm compresses, there are no other effective home remedies.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow up regarding this query. Once you are satisfied with all my answer, please accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor