Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Painful scalp infection, no superficial symptoms, swollen occipital lymph node, hair loss. Reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 520 Questions
painful scalp infection but no superficial symptoms
Dear Expert,
I have been experiencing intense pain periodically in my scalp accompanied by hair loss for about 6-8 months now. There is also a swollen occipital lymph node on one side of my head that started about the same time this painful hair loss started.The pain is incisive and feels local to the scalp not underneath. However I never have any superficial symptoms such as papules, pimples, cysts, or scale. Further, there is never any itching involved with this condition. The pain and hair loss is centered around the top of my scalp and is diffuse in nature, becoming most noticeable in the past couple of weeks. The pain seems to come in waves lasting for a couple weeks every 3-4 weeks. I have been to the dermatologist two to three times and each time they say that they can not diagnose me despite the pain and swollen lymph node because I have no specific area to biopsy. There is one nodule in the back of my head but it is not located where the pain is and I do not think it is related. Any indication what could be causing this hair loss? And if I do not have any visible scarring do you think the condition is irreversible or permanent?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later
Hello ,

Thanks for writing in.

This is an undefined condition that I have come across quite frequently.

Tell me, do you experience more pain when you try to pull your hair?
Do you feel some abnormal scalp sensitivity?

This problem is still unnamed and most doctors usually ignore this (thinking it is patient's imagination). But I feel it has something to do with sensitive nerves in the scalp.

To be XXXXXXX I am not sure if I am correct as this condition is still not defined by science yet.

You may try nerve stabilizers like gabapentin and vitamin B12.

Talk to your physician about this. Some of my patients have benefitted with this treatment.

You may also get your sugar and Vit B12 levels tested.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor