Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Painful reddish rashes in the groin, swollen throat. Had unprotected oral sex. Should I be tested for HIV and AIDS?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
ello doctor
i had unprotected oral with a prostitute..actually deepthroat.. i had a very small cut on my penis that i noticed it after the event. One day after i have a feeling that my throat was swollen. then i had a runny nose and the same feeling in my throat. A doctor examined me and told that my throat was swollen and red althought i was feeling no pain just this sensatioon that i had a knot or that it was swollen. after two more day the nose stopped but the throat remained in the same condition and a bit worst.... after 10 day i developed a rash in my groin like three small line shaped cuts which is very painful when touched again th GP told me that is from the underware or trousers. Then my testicle from the same side appeared to be quite red like a rash from sweat or from a cloth. i still dont have fever but athough 12 days passed my throat remains with this swollen sensation and is stiil redish do you think i need to be tested? plz help me
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

I can understand your health concern & fear of any STD or HIV. But you need to need know that sex with every person does not cause HIV, even in case of sex workers, she has to be infected before she can pass it on to you.

Now even if one has oral sex with a infected person, the chances of contracting HIV infection is low.

Sexual intercourse with sex-workers does increase the risk of HIV infection.

In case of HIV most of the patients develop symptoms mimicking influenza within 2-4 weeks post exposure. But the window period of HIV usually ranges from 3-6 months ,i.e the antibodies are not formed in the blood till that point and the tests may come negative .But if we test at 6 months time and the result of the test is negative ,then that would mean that the patient is free from HIV.

So getting the relevant test done(for both HIV & STDs) would allay all the fear and anxiety from your mind.This is only because you had sex with a prostitute and that too unprotected.

The earliest test - that can be taken to detect HIV infection is the PCR proviral DNA test. This test can detect the HIV ‎DNA within 15-21 days of the infection.‎ I would recommend you to do the test after 3 weeks post exposure, to avoid retesting. The alternative would be a HIV combo test (HIV antibody + P24 antigen assay) after 4 -6 weeks after ‎exposure might be very useful.

Other STDs like Gonorrhea , Chlamydia,Syphilis, Chancroid or genital herpes should also be kept under consideration.The symptoms usually are either an ulcer over the penis or discharge per urethra.One should also look for fever or joint pain.These symptoms can occur any time between 1 week to 3 months interval.There are relevant test for each which can be done accordingly.

Kindly let me know if you develop any such symptoms.

Since at present you only have sore throat and running nose ,you should first try with some oral antibiotic and see the response .If there is a recurrence or no improvement then probably you need to investigate properly.
As far your groin problem ,it is not very clear as to what clinical lesion you have .I would appreciate if you can send me a close up picture of the lesion you have.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I would suggest you to XXXXXXX any competent dermatologist and get tested for STDs & HIV both.You can even approach a pathology dept and get the test done.

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painful reddish rashes in the groin, swollen throat. Had unprotected oral sex. Should I be tested for HIV and AIDS? 4 hours later
i have uploaded the image of the rash..thank you for your answer.! the think that concerns me is that although i have tried some antibiotics for 4 days the throat still has this swollen feeling and some times is sore (12days in total). The runny nose has stopped before 5 days (i had runny nose for only 2 days). i dont feel week or fatiqued
but i have a pain in the knee joint from time to time (not sth constant and only today)...the incedence was only insertive oral not other sexual activity... the gp told me that there is no chance but the symptoms above make me worry. As you said i will be tested 3 weeks after the incidence and i hope it will be negative.... Plz see the image and tell me your medical opinion..
thank you very much ...... sorry but iam very anxious i have regret the incidence and iam feeling very bad for myself..
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 9 hours later

Thank you for your reply and the pictures,

I can fully understand your anxiety and guilt.Now we have to think what is ahead of us.

I have carefully gone through both the image links that you have provided.Fortunately it doesn't seems to be linked with any of the STDs.It just seems to be due to friction caused by the undergarments as told by your GP.The redness over the scrotum could probably be due to some irritant effect caused by the soap or any cleansing agent (like savlon or dettol) if you have used.

I think you should take some good oral antibiotic (like amoxicillin or azithromycin) for your throat and see the response .You can do a gargle with lukewarm water and add some salt in it.This would help reduce the swelling in throat.

For the red scrotum I would suggest to use a mild topical steroid for few days.

As discussed earlier regarding the test ,you can get it done at suitable time .This would allay your anxiety for good.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor