Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Painful red sore on the buttocks, fever. Chances of MRSA?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hello I have a painful red round sore on my butt.. i have had it before...i also am experiencing chills and fever that is possibly connected to a recurring bile duct problem.. a nurse at my XXXXXXX building took a look at it today and said it might be MRSA but don't worry about it.. weil I am and ofcourse it is after office hours so don't know what to do
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

MRSA is a bacterial infection which can affect skin, and other organs, but it cannot be definitely confirmed by visual examination alone.

A red round painful sore can be due to any bacterial or fungal infection.

So please do not panic. You should visit your doctor as early as feasible for confirming the diagnosis and starting appropriate treatment. Till then, you may do the following,
1. Maintain proper hygiene and keep the area clean with any antiseptic solution.
2. Apply a topical (local) application of any antibiotic ointment like mupirocin or fusidic acid as per your doctor’s advice.
3 Avoid scratching the area or applying any occlusive bandage over it.
4 If pus comes out of the lesion, clean it and repeat the ointment. You may take a mild analgesic like acetaminophen if prescribed by your doctor.
5. If the number or size of sores increase or there is a worsening of symptoms, visit the emergency room.

Please do not panic as the situation at present doesn't seem worrisome and is a common ailment which is likely to resolve with treatment.

I hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor