Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Painful recurring cysts in labia majora filled with puss. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4793 Questions
I have recurring cysts very painful that are under the skin and they are filled with puss and then blood when i squeeze them, i get them on the same spots by my labia majora where the pubic hairs are, I even have scarred my labia from aqueezing out these painful bumps, I have had them come mostly when I wear tight jeans/pants, they both form right away on either side they hurt and affect me everyday, they last weeks to go away. Please advise, not sure what to do, I have had this for 5 years on and off I would say every month they are here, I try to stay away from wearing tight clothes. Thanks so much! XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the answer below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing to us.

First, I'd like to know what type of depilatory manners you use? - Usually, razors cause such infection of the hair follicle. Perhaps there is a "hidden chest" for the infection, which arise from time in time since 5 years not. If you use razors, please shift to wax manner as it causes less problems.

Next, have you ever send the discharge from the bumps for lab culture? - there are many other diseases other than infected hair, including STD.

Furthermore, as I do not have any picture of your actual problem, I would suggest to get checked by an OG as you might need oral treatment (antibiotics) and local treatment (incision, drainage).

Hope it answered to your inquiry!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painful recurring cysts in labia majora filled with puss. What could this be? 17 hours later
Thanks for your reply...I took a blood test to see if its an std and I'm waiting on results. Which stds can be associated with my symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably genital herpes/warts,tests determine

Detailed Answer:
Your symptoms seem mostly to be associated with genital herpes; however the test would better determine it.

In addition, as I do not have a picture of your "bumps", I would recommend to do testing for genital warts also. Usually, pap smear and/or genital swab is used for the testing.

At the end, I would recommend to avoid sex during this time until the treatment is over. In addition, I also would recommend protected sex by using condoms.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor