Painful pus filled acne and dark marks on face. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have acne which are very painful because of the pus formation inside ( are sligltly more in size like a little swelling) and it also does not dry up for long,once the pus comes out it leaves a very dark XXXXXXX which does not seem to fade for months. Since my complexion is fair it shows off very easily.
Please suggest me an ointment which heals the acne fast ,once it appears and also leaves less severe marks.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Pimples or acne vulgaris is basically inflammation of pilo sebaceous units (skin structure containing hair follicle and oil glands)
Acne treatment depends upon the severity and the type of lesions present that is whether blackheads/ whiteheads, red elevated lesions (papules), pus filled lesions (pustules) or solid lesions like nodules, cyst, etc., are present. Chances of scarring in acne increases with severity of lesions and due to delayed treatment.

As you have mentioned, you get pus filled lesions; so basically your acne falls into moderate acne type for which you might require a course of antibiotic like azithromycin along with oral isotretinoin. As these are prescription drugs, it would be in your interest to consult a dermatologist nearby so that after proper skin analysis appropriate doses of these medicines if required could be started. This would prevent further pigmentation ad scarring too.

However, you could follow these general recommendations to keep your skin healthy and acne free
1) Use a salicylic acid based face wash. Salicylic acid not only helps in acne but also reduces spots.
2) Always use a water based moisturiser meant for combination skin or oily skin.
3) If you have blackheads or white heads, get them extracted regularly
4) Apply nadifloxacin cream and tretinoin cream only over acne lesions.
5) Tretinoin cream like 'retino a' fades marks also; but be very cautious with the quantity applied. Use it only over acne and marks in a very small amount and do not rub the cream. You may use a tooth pick to apply it.
6) Avoid sun exposure to prevent further pigmentation. If you stay outdoors for long, use a good sunscreen of SPF 30
7) Avoid facials, as massage aggravates acne. Do not scrub your face more than once a week as scrubbing too can aggravate acne.
8) Take a healthy nutritious diet
9) You may also take Glycolic or salicylic acid peels to reduce acne and pigmentation.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be further queries, I would be happy to assist you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad