Painful lump near groin. Treatable?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi i am a 28 year old male.. i have a small somewhat painful lump on my upper left inner thigh.. close to my groin.. It looks like a red dot (like a pimple but no whitehead) but hard mass underneath.. Any opinions on it.. kind of worried and i dont have insurance
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 23 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for query.

It seems that you are having some infection may be boil or hair root infection,which has lead to inflammation in the near by area.In this area, sometimes due to scratching the hair pulls out and lead to infection in its root.

As it is painful and presenting as a hard mass underneath,it is suggestive that the infection has spread in the deeper structures of skin.It must be a local infection.This is the commonest possibility.

In other case when you have some infection like a boil ,the lymph nodes in the groin gets enlarged.

Please apply any local antibiotic cream over it.You should also take analgesic tablets as it helps to reduce pain as well as local swelling.Continue tablets regularly for 2-3 days.Please avoid tight clothing,do not message the area.

In a couple of days,the swelling should subside.If the pain and swelling continue to progress ,or you have fever ,then it may mean that the infection is not under control and you need to take help from your doctor.A course of antibiotics would be needed.

I Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow ups.