Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Painful labium, swollen after sex. No bumps but itchy and irritated. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
hey! for a couple of days my right side of my labium has been kinda painful but nothing major last night after sex it swelled n it is still swollen its been awhile since i've had sex n i check down there every so often and i feel no bumps or anything its just swollen and itchy and irritated..what should i do??
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query..
Labia Majora swelling , itchiness could be due to mucosal irritation with trauma or allergy or a fungal infection.
Since there are no lesions and discharge viral or bacterial infection are unlikely.
At present there is nothing worrisome and most likely it could be due to allergy (to clothing, latex, deodorant, bath salt etc )or minor trauma (rubbing scratching.
In either cases it should subside in a couple of days .
For soothing relief steroidal creams like 1% hydrocortisone can be applied locally twice daily as per your doctors advise.You should maintain adequate genital hygiene and avoid any irritant chemical products or other allergens.
If the swelling still persists or you develop new symptoms like vaginal discharge , severe pain, tenderness, fever etc then you must consult your physician or gynaecologist to rule out other
infective causes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor