Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Painful erection followed by swollen ligament that is tender to touch. What could it be?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9587 Questions
Last night I woke up with a painful erection. In the morning I noticed a swollen ligament or vien ( feels harder) on the right side of my shaft closer to the base. It is slightly tender to the touch. I have no other symptoms.
I had one Urologist on this tell me it was a thrombosed dorsal vein. He said it will go away in a week and to use antinflamitory medication. My question is it no longer feels bruised but it feels cord like and goes from the top of my penis along the base down the right side and ends underneath my penis, maybe 1 inch long. It is not purple like the other veins. No color ar all. I can just feel it when I rub my fingers across it. When I have an erection it it move half way up my penis. I had intercourse about one week ago. The next day my penis felt kind of bruised underneath and near the base. The skin also looked darker in the area. On friday morning I woke up with a mildly painful erection. Afterwards I noticed what may be the vein buldging from the right sight near the base and slightly bruised to the touch. Is not as big at this time but can still feel it. I am a hypochondriac so it is constantky on my mind.
I am married no multiple partners. I have only had intercourse with my wife. My urine is normal and no pain when going. Also I still have 2-3 spontaneous erections each night and are not painful
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have
developed a tender cord like structure at the base of the penis on Rt side which followed after intercourse.

This is most likely to be one of the superficial tributaries of Dorsal Venous Plexus situated at the base of penis got injured and thrombosed during intercourse.(Rightly diagnosed by your Urologist) .

You should not to be worried about as you have already taken anti inflammatory medication and it being not painful ,The thrombus (Clotted Blood ) in the vein takes long time to get absorbed .Once this happens, may be over a period of month it will disappear itself.
Please take care that it does not get injured and continue taking anti inflammatory medication for 2-3 weeks.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painful erection followed by swollen ligament that is tender to touch. What could it be? 4 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I feel much better. When will it be okay to resume intercourse? I am also taking 800mg of ibuprofen per day. I can take more if needed.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.
If you do not have pain ,you can have intercourse with gentle care .
You can continue taking Ibuprofen with same dosage.
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor