Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Painful cyst in the testicle, swollen penis, skin rashes, fungal infection

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
Hi there,

There are several issues here so please read carefully.

First off, i went to the doctors because of a pain in my testicle, i had an ultrasound done which found a 3mm cyst that was 'nothing to worry about'. The pain still continues, but is also in my groin area and sometimes my penis. Occasionally my penis's glans appear a bit swollen and purplish, which worries me a bit, but that also changes from time to time. I do not know whether these things are bad enough to see a doctor explicitly about because i have anxiety and stress over a lot of things and it is hard to tell sometimes. Originally the pain was just in the testicle, they ruled out many things during the ultrasound and i was told just to ignore it. However the pain is also in my groin and penis now. it is very occasional and most of the time it does not hurt at all, and when it does it is perhaps a 1-3/10. I am not currently sexually active, the last time was over a year ago and was with protection.

Further, (and this is possibly not related but still stressful) i have a rash on my scrotum. I have had it for quite a long time, i talked to the doctor about it and she gave me a cream which does not appear to work. The area is red and it just itches/tingles occasionally.

ALSO recently i have been getting nauseous about 12 hours into my day, but i am fairly sure this has been because of a bug going around as there was about 3 days i felt constantly bloated and nauseous and my neighbour had the same thing, i think maybe it is just lingering but that is also getting stressful
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

I shall try to explain my assumptions of groin pain and testicle pain.

There are lot of structures that pass into scrotum from the abdomen. They can create gaps within the abdominal wall and these structures kink during their entry into the wall. These structures have very elaborate nerve supply and blood supply. Any simple problem like cyst can stretch over these nerves or vessels and cause dull pain (as you described it as 1-3/10). Sometimes mild Epididymitis can accompany cyst. I assume the cyst seen on ultrasound is an Epididymal cyst.

I suppose the pain is a benign one. I say this because the Ultrasound revealed no major problems (Torsion, Orchitis). You might get relieved of your pain by taking simple analgesics like Tylenol, 500mg three times a day after food for two days.

The other rare possibilities of groin pain and testicle pain in you are:

1. Developing Hernia.

2. Varicocele.

Let me take your second problem, RASH:

From the description of the rash provided by you, it might be something like skin infection due to Fungi. It is also called ringworm of the groin. This condition can be treated easily but has chances of recurrence.

Here are some tips to help cure this condition:

1. Keep the skin clean and dry.

2. Use an antifungal Cream containing - Clotrimazole Eg: (Canesten or lotrimin) These are often effective in controlling ringworm.

3. Wash and dry the area first.

4. Apply the cream, beginning just outside the area of the rash and moving towards the center. Be sure to wash and dry your hands afterwards.

5. Use the cream twice a day for 7 to 10 days.

6. Do not use a bandage over ringworm.

To prevent the infection from spreading:

1. Wash all towels in warm, soapy water and then dry them.

2. Use a new towel and wash cloth every time.

This condition usually responds to topical medications mentioned above within 4 weeks. Severe or resistant cases usually respond quickly to antifungal medicines taken orally, which may need your doctor's prescription.

The symptoms of nausea and bloating could be due to stomach flu associated with common viral infection, which will soon subside with supportive measures.

You can get relief from your symptoms with medications like:-

1. Activated charcoal tablets (Brand name: Charcoal ) - to relieve your bloating sensation.

2. Dramamine tablets - can help to control your symptoms of nausea.


Dr Anvekar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painful cyst in the testicle, swollen penis, skin rashes, fungal infection 9 hours later
Thank you for your response.

What about the glans thing is this anything to be worried about? My glans have occasionally been purplish and a bit swollen but has been only occasional.

I looked up the rash you spoke of, and am unsure of whether that could be it, but is of course a possibility. The rash i have does not seem to have any definable borders. It is just a reddening of the skin (which gets better and worse over time) that itches and tingles, i used to get jock itch quite a lot about a year ago (and i also had this rash) and had treated that with anti-fungal creams (over the counter ones) which fixed the jock itch but not this.

Also Re: testicle problems, Is this something i should be worried about do you think? I will likely go back to the doctors about the rash soon and i will bring up that the pain is continuing. Is it possible that my anxiety is causing this? I generally have physical symptoms of anxiety (chest pains) but no longer have them, but am none the less still pretty anxious, i wonder if that contributes to any of this pain.

Thank you for your responses
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 33 minutes later
Hello Again,

The penis is a very vascular organ, and is made of vascular bulbs, that enlarge when the blood flow increases. Any form of inflammation in the area can result in a purplish discoloration, which is due to the engorged blood. This usually resolves with time, when the blood flow reduces.

It is unlikely that there would be anything to be worried about the testicular pain. Since the pain intensity is low and other tests have been normal so far, this could be a subjective pain, which occurs with testicular engorgement. But this a benign issue and would settle soon with conservative measures including pain medications, scrotal support and elevation; ice packs; and rest.

Both the pain in the testicles and the penile engorgement can be reduced by taking Ibuprofen 400 mg tablets, on a as needed basis.

Since it is difficult to give a clear diagnosis without a visual look, It would help if you can provide me images of the rash, which can help me give you a proper advice.

You can upload images of the lesions in the right side of the query box, which after going through would help me in suggesting you better.

Please do confirm by writing here about the uploading of the photo as to suggest you at the earliest.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after going through the photo.

Awaiting your response.


Dr Anvekar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painful cyst in the testicle, swollen penis, skin rashes, fungal infection 1 hour later

I am uploading a picture now. In the 'upload reports' section, which is the only bit i can find so hopefully that is where it needs to go.

Also some history on this thing, it used to only really be between my anus and scrotum. Because of it's location it was difficult to see, and it wasn't really that bad just occasional itchiness so i thought it'd go away, then i kinda forgot about it. Then it spread to my scrotum and is no longer anywhere else, perhaps just half an inch below my scrotum as well. There are areas that i thought could be described as 'legions' as it is oval shaped and hairless, but i think that is because of my scratching. Further i think this may be fungal as when it spread to my scrotum, the worse affected areas are where i put my fingers when i urinate, on the front tips of my scrotum. It does not look any different to the rest of the areas but that is where i scratch most. I have also noticed my scrotum skin at the area i scratch has become very loose and looks weird as hell when it is cold and my scrotum shrinks, these areas i refer to do not seem to shrink as much and that started to happen with the rash.

I hope that picture is good enough, i could not find any better locations that could show what i mean.

Perhaps it would help if i described my picture. The top right is my finger, holding my penis out of the way (it looks brownish/white) The wrinkly sides are the spots where it first got really itchy and my scrotum got 'loose' (though this is not something i am worried about)

I have had this rash long since i was ever sexually active so i am fairly confident it is not an STI of any kind.

As this is my last response and the website will not allow me any more i would just like to thank you for your help, i get very anxious over medical issues, even ones as mundane as these, and your advise has been very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 41 minutes later
Hello Again,

Thanks for the image uploaded. That has definitely helped me reach a conclusion.

The image sent as well as the description of the rash and most of your symptoms indicate the cause to be due to fungal infection or Tinea cruris alone.

You will definitely benefit by following the measures that I have already mentioned in my previous answers.

Some additional preparations that might be helpful include:-
1. Cruex Prescription Strength Spray Powder
2. Lamisil AT Spray or cream ; Desenex XXXXXXX Cream
3. Tinactin Antifungal Spray Powder ; Aftate Antifungal Liquid Spray.

In case you have already used the medications and have found no benefit, you might need to continue it for a longer time or you may need oral antifungal medications which can be prescribed by a doctor to help treat the infection and help it clear away.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.


Dr Anvekar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor