Painful Itchy bumps on arms and stomach. Could it be shingles or ingrown hair?

Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib

Posted on Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I have ugly bumps on my back,arms, and stomach and they get really itchy and when I get a shower the water feels like I'm on fire' what is it? They look like bites then they itch and hurt and burn sometimes even clothes on them hurts. It helps to keep the area cold. Water feels like I have rough skin. Nothing really helps it a lot sometimes when I'm really upset it gets worse. What can it be? I was told it's ingrown hair maybe but I don't believe that. Can it be shingles? Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 18 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the query

shingles causes a rash with severe pain and burning sensations which in unbearable. so, i don't think so it is shingles.

The description you have provided is more probable of allergic urticaria either due an endogenous allergen or some exogenous like a bug bite. It is recommended to have consultation from immunologist as you may require some specific allergic tests to different allergens.

Antiallergic will help you in relieving of itching. however you may require a steroid shot for complete recovery

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 minutes later
You didn't help me at all. I see how you get paid. I will put a complaint against this sight for not helping me at all but charging me you better give me a full refund asa opp or I will report you. How could this be from a bug bite when I had it for a year now. Well what crock are you gonna feed me now.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 15 minutes later
Dear Madam

you didn't provided it in you description that you are having this problem for last one year. whenever asking a query, you should provide complete detail like its duration, associated symptoms and if possible you can provide photographic evidence or test reports if any.

a patient cannot be diagnosed with 5-6 line text and the aim of this site is to provide you a better medical advice and guide through your health problems.

feel free to say anything, It will be my pleasure to respond you in a better way

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
So now that you know I had it for at least a year. What do you think it could be? It comes and goes. And when I get a shower it looks like my skin peals. The water especially warm or hot makes my skin hurt really bad the cold water is all I can stand. The doctor last year treated it with batrin but it came right back.it gets really warm and itchy and you have to scratch. When I dry off with a towel after a shower it looks like I'm peeling. When I get upset it gets worse, it never totally goes away just goes where it doesn' t bother me as much sometimes. What do you think it could be? Please try and help me figure it out. I'm sorry for seeming mean but this has me so upset and I need answers now not later. Thank you. Also can you answer me one more question I had my knee replaced three times in the last four years and now my right foot turns way outward and I have a bump on my right foot from my leg and how I must walk. My hip is so messed up from the way I have to walk. I walk sideways. Do you think my knee is bad again. Do you think it messed up my hip? Please help me. It does burn and hurt severely when it acts up but the pictures I saw of shingles looks different than my body does. Please any advise to my emails to help me I will really appreciate. Please answer both questions please
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 9 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

No doubt such condition would make anyone stressed but stress do not solve problems instead creates them.

The batrin given to you by your doctor is an antidepressant used to relieve pain in such conditions by inhibiting the neurotransmitter that travels the pain impulses.

The description provided reflects two conditions.
Chronic urticaria and shingles. both these diagnosis are based on the symptoms you have provided as both cause sever itching and burning sensation however shingles recovers within a time of 1-2 weeks even without the use of any medication.

Chronic urticaria do not self recovers and gets worsens until treated promptly. The option to relieve pain is still batrin to relieve problem you must visit your GP as you may require injectable steroids shot. further i would request you to upload picture of these bumps so that i could provide you with the exact diagnosis

Thanks