Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Pain when moving up and down. X-ray said ostoarthritis. Need more testing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
I feel pain in my knee area when i use stairs and getting up and down. Otherwise there is no pain as such. I consulted a orthopectic and he without even toching me or x-ray told me that I have ostoarthritis. Is it right to say like this without any checkup or should I need testing before final diagonosis? My age is 33 height 189 cm and weight is around 100 kg
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

The symptoms you mentioned sound like some XXXXXXX derangement of the knee joint. The possibilities are either joint cartilage wear and tear, meniscus tear, ligament sprain or synovium related. To call it osteoarthritis without thorough examination and supported radiological evidence is naive. I believe your orthopaedician must be a very experienced person to conclude that in first instance.

Nevertheless In my opinion you should consult another doctor soon. Till then I shall help you prevent the symptoms from worsening. The set of rules are-
1. Avoid stairs as much as possible,
2. Do not sit cross leged,
3. Avoid sitting in one position for long time,
4. Use commode instead of Indian type lavatory,
5. Do not massage or manipulate the knee joint till the pain subsides.

You may take the anti inflammatory medicines your doctor prescribes for few days. This helps in reducing the inflammation and in turn reduces pain. At your age it is unlikely to have arthritis but not impossible. So rule out other conditions like swelling, redness, locking, instability or abnormal sounds which might suggest otherwise.

Another important aspect is that you need to reduce your weight, and fast. That could be the prime reason for your knee problems. In any case do not hesitate if your doctor tells you to get an mri done, since that is the gold standard in knee investigations in early stages.

I hope this helps you deal with the situation. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor