Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Pain under rib cage, feel the need to vomit or pass stools. Should I go to ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
Hi I just woke with a sharp pain under my right rib cage, i feel like I may need to vomit or poop but nothing is coming out either way.... is this something that can wait or should I go to the er
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 45 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Pain under the right rib cage usually indicates gall bladder pathology.

If the pain is intermittent and not subsiding even with a dose of antispasmodics , then there would be need for a Ultrasound scan to evaluate the gall bladder and bile ducts health.

Such conditions should be dealt on emergency basis only , ER is the better option.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor