Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Pain under breast, cannot wear bra. Done acupuncture and taken tablets. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5764 Questions
Have a pain under my right breast which sometimes radiates to back. It is so painful can not wear a bra and must sit up straight to lessen the pain. When laying in bed I must lay straight (not on sides or stomach) in order to get any rest. Went to ER they did multiple tests and ruled out appendicitis, kidney problems as well as gall bladder.
I was given muscle relaxers and pain killers and told it was a pulled muscle. While the pain is less it is still bothering me. Even had acupuncture done and she mentioned something about the "floating rib" being a causal factor. Have also applied ice (very painful), heat and those medicated patches in search of relief. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It seem that you are suffering from intercostal neuralgia. This is a condition when rib nerves gets irritated due to rib movement, inflammation, nerve compression, ions shortage or trauma. However if chest pain appears it is strongly advisable to rule heart diseases out. To do that ECG and heart ischeamic markers should be tested.
As a rib nerve irritation may be caused by backbone diseases, spinal MRI should be performed. It is possible that the nerve is squeezed when leaving spinal cord.
Moreover, such condition can be caused by ions shortage so the Magnesium and Calcium level should be checked.
To ease your pain, some bones-penetrating anti-inflammatory medicines should be prescribed by your doctor (Diclofenac).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor