Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Pain under armpits,stress,sleep aid OTC,no swelling

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hello Doctors:

I am a 30 year old female. 5'6 230 pounds. For about the past 2 months, I have had a dull pain under my armpits. It's mainly the left armpit, but from day to day, I might feel a little pain under the right as well. There is no swelling that I can feel... and no lumps... just this dull pain that isn't even excruciating or anything, but definitely there. I have read that it could be stress, however, I FEEL like I'm happier than I've been in a very long time. I do take fat burners on a daily basis as I am trying to lose weight, and on top of that, I admittedly take "sleep aids" (OTC) to get to sleep at night as the fat burners would keep me up until 4AM I think. I am really getting nervous!! What is this dull pain???? Please help!!!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

There are a few possibilities for this dull pain under both the armpits. These possibilities need to be evaluated.

1) It can be a result of localo muscle injury, infection or inflammation of Pectorallis muscle. This muscle runs is the chest that runs along the underneath rib area. If you work out a lot, especially lifting weights but you fail to warm up or cool down as a part of your fitness regimen, you put yourself at risk for straining or pulling this muscle.

2) It can be due to pinched nerves or nerve pain due to spinal causes. This can cause a referred pain in the armpits.

3) It can also be due to excessive stretching, which could be caused from working out or playing a sport or due to tight clothes if you are obese.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses in the armpit and take some prescription from your doctor. Give complete rest to the part and avoid doing any activity like raising your arms or stretching the arms which causes any further damage. Also avoid sleeping with the arm extended up behind the head.

If the symptoms persist then get a MRI scan done from your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor