Pain under arm, shoulder pain, nerve pain. Cardiac issues?

Dr. Rajinder Bajoria

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Question: I am a 56 year old white female, no history of heart disease in my family. I am 5 ft 6”, 62 kg, slim build. I have every now and then a slight pain in the left side of my chest, mainly under the arm in the ribcage area or sometime slightly more towards the front (circumference of left breast ) in the ribcage area. I comes as a small pulse, sometimes several a minute, then nothing for hours. It does not get worse when I exert myself. I do not feel out of breath with it. My shoulder sometime also aches, like a nervy ache, as if it had been pulled.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 23 minutes later

Your pain don`t appear to be due to cardiac problem, as cardiac originated pain appear on left side with radiation to left arm or neck with feeling of congestion or discomfort in the chest. It also increases on exertion. Rare varied presentation of cardiac originated pain can occur.

In your case it appear as simple muscular pain due to spasm or twitching. A safe option is investigation to find the cause & rule out cardiac & confirm muscular pain is essential at this age.

Shoulder pain also needs x-ray as it can due to many reasons. In the mean time you should start regular wheel movement (exercise) of shoulder joint. Use topical pain relieving creams available over the counter.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.