Pain near heart and neck, tingling arm and shoulder blade. Have high BP. Taking Adderall. Is it heart problem?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm having a weird heart pain its sore and then it feels like a sharp pain then my left side of my neck gets a sharp pain. My left arm is tingling as well as my left shoulder blade. My left leg feels really weird like it has pain and then kind of numb like I need to move it to get blood flow. I have been having high blood pressure and a high hr for 3 years the doctors say its stress.. Today is alot worse im about to be an R.N and I know something is not right I really feel like im having a heart attack or some kind of circulation problem. The doctors blow it off because im 24 years old so they say its a panic attack but since my last er visit that got blown off as a panic attack my left arm and hand has been tingling and I dont have full sensation. Please help me I have a 3 year old so if i truly am having a heart attack how can I know without an ekg or blood work being drawn? I am on adderall which I had stopped taking for about months to see if my symptoms improved but they did not. I just need to know if its a heart attack or not in all my books it has all the symptoms of it but I feel like there should be more tools I can do at home to make sure. My pulses are thready and I cant feel my left pedal pulse, my left peripheral pulse is weaker than my right. Also for 3 years I have had chest tightness and I have no energy i get out of breath I have never smoked. Its getting to where I pick up my 3 year old and im out of breath then. My 1 left rib right under my clavicle bone is sticking out and has been for a few years the chiropractor says he can get it back in place and never does. I feel the best when I wake up in the morning before getting out of bed then right when I stand up I feel like crap.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. There is no way by which you can diagnose a heart attack at home. I suggest that you consult your doctor and get an electrocardiogram and blood enzyme tests done to confirm or rule out a myocardial infarction.

Pain in heart attack/myocardial infarction will not come and go as described by you. Tingling in your arms can occur due to some nerves being pressed in the cervical spine. While visiting your doctor ask the doctor to rule out cervical spondylosis which can cause similar problems. Exercise regimen should relieve them.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/gR5Oy
http://bit.ly/OpvpJu
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 14 minutes later
Could it be coronary artery vasospasm, or an aortic dissection? Today is the first day I have felt this bad heart pain that goes up to my neck. Its constant pain but it tightens up and releases at times.I usually have hypertension and right now my rt bp is 114/73 with a hr of 100 left bp is 109/81 hr 103. For some reason my skin has a red tent too it. Do you have any other suggestions that would be causing my symptoms? Would you say its an emergent thing? I have a bad family history of heart disease and this pain is really scaring me but I do not want to waste money on an ER visit. I feel like I cant get a full breath.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 16 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the update.

The blood pressures that you have mentioned are within normal limits. Aortic dissection is a life threatening condition and has different presentation. Coronary artery vasospasm cannot be ruled out by history. You need to get a cardiology workup done more so when you have a family history. As I mentioned earlier cervical spondylosis needs to be ruled out too.

I am afraid that without a medical examination one should not treat only on the basis of symptoms.

I hope I have clarified your doubts. Please feel free to revert back in case you need clarifications.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv